This cake is not too sweet, perfectly lemony, moist and super easy to make, what more could you ask for? Olive oil cakes are getting more and more popular, I always thought it sounded very savory and tasteless but it surprised me. Olive oil cake is nice as it is, but I opted to add lemon and a bit of a glaze. I hope you enjoy this cake as much as I did!
LEMON OLIVE OIL CAKE
(Recipe adapted from http://www.saveur.com/article/Recipes/Olive-Oil-Cake)
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- 3 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3⁄4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2⁄3 cup milk
- 3 cups + 2 tbsp all purpose flour
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
For the glaze:
- Juice of 1/2 a large lemon
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 325F.
- Grease a large loaf pan with oil and dust with flour. (You could also use a bundt pan.)
- Beat the eggs and sugar together on high speed for 1 min.
- Add the lemon juice and zest, vanilla, olive oil, milk, flour, baking powder and salt. combine well.
- Spoon the batter into the prepared loaf pan.
- Bake at 325F for 45-50 mins (or until golden brown).
- Mix the lemon and powdered sugar together to make the glaze and brush
over the top of the cake while it is still warm.